Unit-1 State: Characteristics, Aristotle’s classification of types of state: Theological, Monarchical, Aristocratic, Democratic and Totalitarian forms.
Unit-2 Influence, Power and Authority: Meaning and types of influence, characteristics of Power, distribution of power: the Constant sum and the Variable sum approach to power, theories of political elites, authority: Weberian classification of authority, different ways of acquiring legitimacy.
Unit-3 Political Culture and Political Socialization: Meaning and dimensions of political culture, meaning and types of political socialization agencies of political socialization and their role.
Unit-4 Political Participation: Meaning and types of political participation, features and functions, structures of political parties; meaning of pressure groups and their relationship with political parties, political apathy – reasons for political apathy, Determinants of political participation – psychological, social and Political. Political parties –
1.A.K.Mukhopadhyay 1980. Political Sociology, K.P.Begchi& Company. Calcutta,
2. Ashaf, Ali and Sharma B.N. 2001.Political Sociology, University Press, Hyderabad .
3. Bhattacharya, D.C. Political Sociology
4. Baral, J.K. Political Sociology
5. Bottomore,T. 1975. Political Sociology, Blackie & Sons, Bombay.
6. Lipset S.M. 1983. Modern Political Analysis, Printice Hall, New Delhi
7. Dhal, Robert A, Who Governs